Traveling With Dennis L. Siluk

Dennis Siluk has traveled the world over 27-times, here are just a few stories and articles by him. see site: http://dennissiluk.tripod.com

Monday, July 03, 2006

Iceland, Reykjavik: Travels with D.L. Siluk

Getting Some Rest In Reykjavik


By Dennis L. Siluk


I was in Reykjavik, 9/9/1999, in the air at 9:00 AM. I’m not kidding, a lot of nines, I noticed that when I was in the air flying to Iceland, all the nines. Not sure if that was a sign, but it wasn’t planned that way. I remember collecting the rents from my properties, I had at that time seven buildings [rental properties], and flew to Reykjavik to get some rest; only a four day rest, I had to be back and do some lectures, and counseling for my regular job, with the Bureau of Prisons, at the time. And every time I get tired of business, I kind of took off, once to Paris, once to Nigeria Falls, and so forth; but this time it was Reykjavik. Not sure why, perhaps it is in-between everything; that is, Europe, per se; although it is part of Europe.

It was a most pleasant trip, and most expensive. Not getting there, just once I got there. I figured there are three places in the world I’ve been, that could break a man in a month: Reykjavik is one, Alaska is the other, and number one is: Tokyo. But I had fun in all those places, and I suppose you pay for it. But in Iceland’s capital, Reykjavik, you can’t help but have fun I do believe. I’ve even heard it’s the place to be in the summer for the young crowd nowadays.

Let me see what I can remember: a museum, a piazza place I liked; went to their Hofdi House, like our White House I suppose you could say. It is where they had the superpower summit in 1986. I liked the lake area by Independence Hall; I really liked the natural hot water swimming area called the Blue Lagoon, it has thermal water. And still on a hillside in the city they have a peculiar church, I went to its bell tower, what a grand view; Leifur Eiriksson, gazes out to the sea right in front of the church. I’ve never seen a church quite like that in all my travels. The church overlooks the city, and that in itself is a sight to behold.

I did go out into its interior, and to a lighthouse, and out whale watching, along with other things. But the city in itself was a good treat. I think I had my first cup of ‘Starbucks’ coffee there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home