Traveling With Dennis L. Siluk

Dennis Siluk has traveled the world over 27-times, here are just a few stories and articles by him. see site: http://dennissiluk.tripod.com

Monday, July 03, 2006

Boroubudur: Indonesia's Treasure: Travels with D.L. Siluk

Borobudur [Java; Indonesia]



I went to see Borobudur, in the western part of Java in 1999 (or according to how you see the map, it might be considered south); but first I flew to Japan, where I stayed a while after Vietnam in 1971. Here I knew a woman, whom I met in Turkey, in l996, and therefore, I she me too many places, sumo wrestling being one of the many, a match by Kyoto. And we spent time in Tokyo, of course, going to the top of the 1957 tower, taller than France’s, and similar to France’s Eiffel Tower, built in the l880s for the Worlds Fair; I was on that tower also. Then I flew to Guam, where I spent a few days, hired a helicopter and flew over the island, got a good view of the old WWII tanks still rusted out in the foliage, and the water buffalo. Then I flew to Bali where I stayed a few days also; and then on to Java, kind of going in the back door, instead of going to Jakarta, its capitol, where they were having some problems. Thus, I stayed in Yogyakarta.

Now being in Yogyakarta and it is as busy as a bee there, I got ready to go see what would be a magnificent site. I would, after seeing it, claim it to be number three on my top ten list, list of greatest sites in the world; and I have seen many, from Egypt to India, to South America, North America, all the way around the world, and then some—its taken me a life time but it has been worth it. Anyhow, Borobudur is not any normal site. It really took me thirteen years to get here. My mother said, “When are you going to see this site, what is it called again? ‘Borobudur?’”

The site first showed up in a dream of mine, in l983, I never knew it existed until then; then I did some research on it, then I went. Some call this a temple, others a shine, whatever, it is the biggest Buddhist edifice in the world. The total building structure, volume wise, consumes 55,000 cubic meters; weights 3,500,000 tones, but only has around 5000-visitors a year, not many for a site like this. It has some 2-million blocks of andesine, or volcanic rock. I saw some folks carving some when I was there. It dates to about 800 AD.

On top of this temple, or layered shrine, is a giant stupa which I sat on. On the north-west side of it I laid down in the grass to just rest in the sun, and the ground with its towering over shading temple, and the tree to its left, somehow just put my bones at peace.

Borobudur’s stairs are guarded by a lion statue. There has been much restoration done here. There are 160- relief’s panels/walls that cover this site, and give out countless scenes of people in motion, activities, etc.

As I had expressed prior, there are levels, and on each level many reliefs are shown, with their ornaments that function as water spouts for the alley behind them. Many smaller stupas’ and many Buddha’s are inside these stupas. I heard the count being over 400-Buddhas.

The eastward view is spectacular, standing on the top of the structure, where the Aksobhya statues are, and have collapsed for the most part.

This whole maze of levels and panels, and layers, and stupa’s and Buddha’s all lead to the main stupa, depicting the spiritual world. Just before you get to the grand stupa, there is an entrance gate, and it, like everything else on this structure (and I do believe it to be wider than any of the pyramids in Egypt) is breathless.

I sat next to the peaceful, serene Buddha that over looks the tranquil atmosphere pervading the Arupadhatu stage. This statue is the one often seen in the pictures, if you can find one showing a close view of the upper level of the shrine.

Again as one looked from or to Borobudur, s/he will see a chain of rich-growing paddy-fields. Everything is green and peaceful here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home