Traveling With Dennis L. Siluk

Dennis Siluk has traveled the world over 27-times, here are just a few stories and articles by him. see site: http://dennissiluk.tripod.com

Monday, July 03, 2006

World Cathedrals and Mosques: Travels with D.L. Siluk

Visiting Cathedrals, Churches, Chapels, And A Mosque


By Dennis L. Siluk


There are many beautiful cathedrals throughout the world, and I have seen, been in many. Wherever I travel, if there is a church, chapel, or cathedral, I will always stop and bend my knees and give thanks to the Lord for this time. I do want to work my way to one certain Cathedral in particular, in a moment please; from Istanbul, Turkey, to Germany, Paris, London, Lima, Seville, and around the world, and St. Paul’s beautiful cathedral in Minnesota, all have masterpieces, but there is one strange Cathedral I will never forget, and there is good reasons for it.

It was in l997, I visited the Mosque of Cordoba (and I could add to the above statement: I’ve been in many renowned Mosques throughout the world, from Egypt, to again, Istanbul, and beyond). But what I was about to say is, in Cordoba, Spain they have a most unusual and beautiful mosque, with hundreds of columns, the Moors strung double arches to raise the prayer hall’s roof I believe.

This Great Mosque was built in 785 AD, this was the largest mosque outside of Mecca, and it covers six acres. But perhaps democracy came to Islam right here, for a new faith was planted within its center. Let me explain. Cordoba fell to the Christians in 1236 AD, and at this juncture a cathedral amid the Great Mosque’s jungle of columns, came about. Bizarre as it may seem.

[Let me shift a bit] In Malta, especially in the city of Valetta, there are hundreds of churches, it was told to me when I was there, that they had over 300-churches on these three tiny islands. When you drive around, it is not hard to believe.

I was in Vatican City in l997, also, but should I select churches in Rome, it would not be St. Peters; it would be St. John’s.

I suppose I seem to sway towards France when it comes to great churches, they have enough of them, not sure if they use them, or just keep them to clean for tourists, but they got them. Notre Dame of course is my favored one; St. Dennis’ is a find church also. Westminister Abbey, in London, and Mont-St. Michaels, in France, again an Abbey, has chapels in them, are fine examples of Sacred Christian places to visit. Mont-St. Michael, is part of a bay, and legend says, in 708 AD Archangel Michael commanded a bishop to raise a chapel on the summit. Oh well true or not, it is there. Kind of like, Archangel Gabriel telling Mohammed to write the Koran. These archangels have many duties I do believe.

In Lima, Peru, they have a most beautiful Cathedral [had], but for some odd reason, they forgot to paint it yellow again, and it takes away its beauty, as it has been ever since I first saw it, some six-years ago. And in Quito’s Equator, they have a Church that has golden, pure golden leaf embedded into its walls and ceiling, from top to bottom. It is almost blinding.

Well, this is an area I could go on and on with, but for times sake, let me stop here, and bid you good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home